SDI-wu is NOT the worm

From: Eduard Condor (condorat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 22:08:22 PDT

    We've been very surprised by the last message with subject "WU-ftp worm",
    which the author claims to be hit by a ftpd worm.

    As the authors of the code attached in that message, we would like to
    say that we have no connections with this worm and we've never seen such
    code before. That means we do NOT have the code.

    Sekure SDI is not a cracker group. Our exploit code has been made only for
    testing purpose and it was NOT suppose to be released.

    Also, we would like to make a little comment about the wu-ftpd exploit:

    - The SDI-wu code needs some fixes to work in Red Hat and other linux
    distribution. Script kiddies -> don't even try to run it!

    - The first exploit released (made by duke - I think ADMwuftpd) will not
    work. WU-ftpd will discard nulls characters so the return address
    (bf ff f3 c0) will not be passed to the stack, which means we cannot
    execute the instructions inserted in the buffer. It also will bring you to
    the reason we've not coded the exploit in the ordinary way.

    - Unlike the WU-ftp, the PROFTP will not accept some of the characters of
    the standard shellcode and exploit code, so it's much more difficult to
    exploit. I would say it's nearly impossible.

    I've received a lot of message asking about how to use the exploit, bla
    bla. We will NOT help kiddies with this tool.

    At last, I would like to make clear that Sekure SDI has nothing to do with
    this worm. Our goal is only to seek and provide security information.

        * PLEASE, updated your wu-ftpd to the newest version! *

    Thank you,

    -condor
    www.sekure.org
     s e k u r e