Author's Comments on plain-text passwords

From: Joel Maslak (jmaslak@WIND-RIVER.COM)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 21:37:52 PDT

    Wow, this message generated a lot of comments...

    Glad to see the comments -- I hoped that this would do that and get people
    thinking.

    First, let me talk about what I WASN'T talking about!

    I wasn't saying the Unix *idea* (not necessarily implementation, as it is
    getting old) of encrypted passwords is bad!  It is exactly how a server
    should store passwords.  I wasn't addressing this.  I was addressing CLIENT
    side issues.

    Example:

    xyz remote backup needs to log into a remote file server.  So, xyz somehow
    stores an encrypted copy of the admin password.  No matter how it does it,
    if it needs to find the original password, this is insecure.  Yes, if you
    used an secure protocol such as SSH or Kerberos, it helps, but this wasn't
    what I'm talking about.  I hear people complain that, for instance, (I know
    we aren't an NT list, but bear with me) NT SQL Enterprise manager stores
    the plain-text password for the SA account.  People are happy if MS updates
    it so Enterprise Manager XORs the password with a hidden string, not
    realing this gives no real security.  The fact Enterprise Manager needs to
    be able to know the password to be able to encrypt a salt and send it over
    the wire is the problem.  Even if it can't be sniffed, we still have a
    problem.  As you can see, I'm not talking about insecurities of "one-way"
    hashes or anything -- any algorithm I'm talking about is a two-way
    encryption algorithm.

    Now, I don't have all the solutions to this one.  That's why I posted.

    Here's some things, though that I do know *HELP*:

    1) Store the password (encryped or not) in a hidden file.
    2) Limit the usefullness of the account the password belongs to
    3) Change the password often, over a secure channel.  Preferably everytime
    a server connects and proves it's identity (this is complicated, I know)
    4) Never, ever, transmit the password in plain text
    5) Don't allow accidental viewing of passwords.

    Here's a message I got, that I thought was a good idea.