Re: Plain text passwords--necessary

From: Steven M. Bellovin (smbat_private)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 14:07:28 PDT

    In message <199904191510.LAA03916at_private>, Phillip Vandry writes:
    >> First, plain text passwords are being used is places where they need not
    >> be. For example the recent post about the Real Media server storing
    >> plain text passwords. There is no reason for the server to store
    >> plain text passwords. It can store a hash and authenticate users
    >> against the hash.
    >
    >It's the old PAP versus CHAP debate. *YES*, there is reason for the
    >realmedia server to store the password in plaintext (although it
    >should still obfuscate it to prevent accidental viewing). I always
    >like to compare the types of PPP authentication to show this:
    >
    >Method  Client     Wire       Server
    >PAP     Clear      Clear      Encrypted
    >CHAP    Clear      Encrypted  Clear
    >
    >And I don't think we can do better than that. We can encrypt at only one
    >stage of the process. We have to make a tradeoff.

    It's certainly possible to do better -- there's a whole family of protocols
    that do that.  See, for example, /http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/aeke.ps (or .pdf), which gives
    encrypted on the wire and at the server.  (The predecessor paper is
    http://www.research.att.com/~smb/papers/neke.ps)  There are related
    protocols by others.