Plain text passwords--necessary

From: Joel Maslak (bugtraq@wind-river.com)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 11:34:37 PDT

    Please send replies either to the list or to jmaslak@wind-river.com.
    The "bugtraq@wind-river.com" is simply a list reflector into my systems.

    I've been reading this list for a lot of time.  Every month or so,
    someone notices a "plain text password," criticizes the security of the
    product at hand, and explains how nothing should be plain-text.

    However, I did think we were trying to avoid security by obscurity.  Any
    system which needs to know the password (not just a hash of it or some
    such), to do things like log into another server, has to know the real
    password.  Simply knowing the hash won't work, obviously.

    But, what does the (in)security community want systems to do?  Do some
    sort of "encryption" of the password.  But, wait a minute...  The key to
    decrypt has to be in the program somewhere, doesn't it?  Otherwise, how
    would the program be able to find the original password (I'm NOT talking
    about Unix style hashes -- Unix doesn't log into other computers as
    certain users, with the possible exception of UUCP which stores the
    password in plain-text).  If the program's code can decrypt the
    password, all we are relying on is security through obscurity -- the
    fact that a user doesn't "know" the decryption algorithm.

    I would much rather, as an admin, know exactly where and how a password
    is stored!  Wouldn't you?  But, with this security through obscurity, it
    just makes it harder for us to figure that out, and the "encryption"
    adds a false sense of security on top of it!

    Please, people, let's think through what we are making venders do.
    Let's go for real security, not a nice, warm feeling!

    Joel Maslak
    System Programmer
    Wind River Visual Communication