Re: stored credentials was: Netscape 4.5 vulnerability

From: Bernd Eckenfels (listsat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 20 1999 - 12:59:24 PDT

    On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 10:01:26AM +1200, Russell Fulton wrote:
    > To my knowledge you are correct.  The bottom line is this: Client
    > programs that store credentials so the user does not have to enter them
    > every time the program is used are insecure.  End of story.

    Well actually you can use one key/passphrase to secure all the stored
    credentials. This has the advantage that you dont need to rember all
    credential (which is impossible for secret keys anyway). But it has the
    disadvantage, that the security is
    a) breakable by trojans/backdooring
    b) as secure as the (weakest) manual entered passwort

    Netscape supports Passworts to unlock the credential-store. On a physical
    secure system this provides a bit of security. On physical insecure systems
    even smatcards can fail, since the trojan can use the plugged smartcard
    without the user to notice it.

    Greetings
    Bernd