Re: stored credentials was: Netscape 4.5 vulnerability

From: Juha Jäykkä (juoljaat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 01:52:12 PDT

    > Well actually you can use one key/passphrase to secure all the stored
    > credentials. This has the advantage that you dont need to rember all
    > credential (which is impossible for secret keys anyway). But it has the
    > disadvantage, that the security is
    > a) breakable by trojans/backdooring
    > b) as secure as the (weakest) manual entered passwort

      No, no, no. You missed the point. We were discussing programs (or
    bunches of programs or even OSes) which store user credentials for later
    access WITHOUT the need for a user to supply any password, key or
    credential. Such as is implemented in netscape communicator when it
    stores pop/imap passwords in prefs.js. In this case the credentials
    stored by the program are indeed "encrypted" (XORed) but in order to
    enable the program to retrieve this information without user interaction
    even after a system restart, the password used to "encrypt" the
    credentials is stored somewhere within the binary itself, the windows
    registry or even derived from the user name or something. Which ever the
    method, the password is easily reproduced and used to decrypt the
    credentials protected with it. There is no way around this when we want
    to access the encrypted credential information without user interaction
    (to be precise I should add: after a system restart). There can never be
    true security in such a system. End of story.
      What you propose is basically a Single-SignOn technique which still
    needs ONE passphrase. They are a totally different story and not the
    subject here.

    --
    Juha Jäykkä, juhajat_private
    PS See http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/ for latest version of RSA in