Re: bug in ssh allowing to be invissible

From: Pete (shipleyat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 20 1999 - 12:07:44 PDT

    >Sorry, but maybe i'll resend this email (I was very sleepy while writing
    >prev leter).
    >
    >Hi,
    >
    >I have just discoverd that there is a bug in sshd allowing ordinary user
    >to be showed as not logged in while logged in. You should simply ssh to
    >remote host and run command "bash". One that's not so good, is that you
    >will not have the controlling terminal, but ...

    This is not a new bug, in fact it is not even a bug.. (feature?)
    since you are not really logged in.

    Rsh and several simular programs exhibit the exact same behavior and have
    so since they were introduced a decade and a half ago in 4.2 BSD.

    Note that Sshd still logs the connection to syslog (or how ever you
    have it configured to log on your system).  Mind you that the only
    thing that is not being logged is are entries in utmp/wtmp, these files
    should not be relied on or trusted in the first place since it is prone
    to having errors and "ghost" entries.  (some systems may system leave
    it world writable)

    		-Pete