javascript hotmail password trap

From: David L. Nicol (davidat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 11:55:24 PDT

    Hello, I was informed this morning that a free form data mailer
    I maintain (http://www.tipjar.com/generic.html) was being involved
    in a javascript-based hotmail password stealing scheme.

    I have located the originating page (with the script) and sent it
    to the contact address hotmail puts on their autoresponder documents.

    I will share an URL for the (fully escaped) exploit in a week or two,
    to give hotmail time to patch their systems. (that's correct procedure,
    right?)

    So far the perp has a few dozen passwords (and I've got them too,
    they appear in my apache server log)

    I have offered to send hotmail the list.  As there are many free form
    data mailers around, I am not making any modifications to my tool (which
    is performing correctly) which would chase the password trapper to
    another form mailer whose admin does not keep as good of logs.

    The page with the script on it contains a warning that your password
    has just been trapped; so unless there are other copies of this script
    running around all the victims know it already.