Re: Ffingerd privacy issues

From: Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmarat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 13:46:59 PDT

      Send mail to mimeat_private for more info.

    --655616-928515508-924899312=:6094

    As to the matter of the home directories being
    world-readable/executeable...

    Having the finger daemon assume that there is no .nofinger file because
    the home directory in question is not readable, but still executeable,
    breaks a few things.  On multi-user machines, some users will be extremely
    paranoid, and will not wish to use anything BUT mode 700, because having
    the directory world-executeable will allow other users on the system to
    detect the presence of certain files in their directory (like .rhosts,
    .forward, .promcail, .pinerc) that may allow them to launch attacks at
    that particular user, knowing that there's a good chance that the user
    uses a vulnerable package, and quite possibly even the last time they used
    it depending on the file.

    After seeing the post on freshmeat, it occurred to me that I had forgotten
    to email Felix the patch for 1.18 that took care of the punctuation as
    well as a few other issues, and I now notice that I sent him the wrong
    version of the patch this morning anyway.  (A version which did not have
    the directory mode issue fixed, but at least my binary has been working
    all this time thankfully.)  Eilon Gishri dealt with it a lot more
    elegantly than I did anyway.  ;)

    Attached is a patch which applies to the 1.20 version of Fefe's Finger
    Daemon, which includes both Eilon Gishri's patches to deal with paranoid
    users whose home directories are mode 700 (the punctuation problem had
    already been fixed in 1.20), and my misdirection patches that
    add the .fakefinger (lets users controly exactly what will be returned
    when they are fingered) file use, and the /etc/ffingerd.empty and
    /etc/ffingerd.indirect files which allow a sysadmin to change what kind of
    message is sent to people when they try indirect or empty finger queries
    without having to edit the source and recompile the daemon.

    ----------
    Unsolicited commercial email sent to this address will be forwarded to
    uceat_private, or responded to late in the evening after I've been clubbing
    long enough to be fairly drunk, and at least twice as verbally abusive.

    --655616-928515508-924899312=:6094

    H4sICLTAIDcCA2ZmaW5nZXJkLTEuMjBwMi5wYXRjaACdVm1z0zgQ/ox/xU5u
    jrQ4ceOkpSRQJr3SltxwaacpwzCU6Si2XOtqW0aSyWWA++23KzuvJBSuHxpr
    Ze3L8zy7ciiiCJqFGkIUieyOq7Dpe+3W3vD03WjVlLet0Wk2mxvefXSmBBzn
    CtodaB322u3evg9+t9t1XNfd6Gj5hN/p7Xd6/tPyRL8PTb/RAddvdKHfd1w8
    5UOkZAp03nEBTkUiMzgXOkYnLzit+kwJbaRnWOGxwBPJS1A8l8rwEBjkSo4T
    ngKwLIScmSCGSCpylTPFMilCKDRXGibCxBDLlEMoFA+MVIJrSGXI4bDVgjHH
    SqDIGHoDI+kQmJiTIy+TZZkQiYR7AK/YXcoUhPVRoRRnCbwIraUf6tLgSXX3
    ElgYYoozJxG755UbSnWGnMfT3Ez35kuRlemBzI2QmfYc17HozHDyuw4AXGMl
    TMNrNuZGwwtjl/3YLr089zRfQclMcwkio2TmkckNV0oqSLnW7A7RmMRccXw9
    FVoTHKE0MJFFEoIuxiaZwp34jPsTNgUR4XuErBNuUdq8pGffyWSxtUF1i81H
    13EBf7IMoAttv3ew3/NbpKTDjdpbOreqwM7BigL3/YaPGsQfFB+qEDyd478s
    chBVZmxRWDnCkVH5LDOkhzECZ/3z0HG90Wv4azB6Nbg6PbkeXAwd91IJFIBA
    iFB9wDPDlWEiS/EJPrOk4I1KhilixxItIS8MIrgsC1IXkuS4yJJQVqsNqxWB
    FAcSfWaGdJwklI2O5SSjzIhTxVNpeJk60pwnLOAgo1J8hS5QoyLDzFJGovJI
    P+hhqg12DgtTkWGHKWZIC7P8gphhVtb7XB8aM3BcDEDSyrRtlLlgKVMrZpjJ
    3BhaaxhPIcC2MCQpKhKRZSnhuMdNsLfaCdbNqn0WoUxb88rHTTRIC21uoiuE
    w3ExQGibF6Mty5xynEh17wGSjLydDd6cjvDx8tJp/rs37+0G4AJxy8oHJf/G
    iOVzMb7nU8ddf3nB3ENnG1sKWrdbAMos/3h7jkm+i3m2KERoUEWWEYqMxDmW
    YQkXW9NszLBLseYEe5z/w4MCpZFzZbsap6vmxqo0RoelyMxKnAA7jtwEMQ/u
    aSbgtnKaZt4cMYZnhP8cECLByteUE4SS0rpA4aB462VWdssjdf+Sn5neMeOA
    WzZLz+gYpahnbi1qx2+vX19cUTOzsqMfnE3B9jES/Gg2BWv3ot/tdbrb78XN
    53A2tQ56+92l27Gz3zjE+9H+0GwCYutOhDv5JGy+zCe3+Lz7vLIXS/Zibs+V
    yEy0QzBSmzVqv2MOLb1Qb60xO4QyxENNoGm+k2jDzOLYY1rejotodxe+0A1G
    72x/CY6OMP1dePwYdvBWySQZTocXp8Nr6wB+E1EW8giGF7ej96M3F+fWRJaz
    49HJYHR9i7bzwfCcigAaP/OL6cOB3/74vATooAQIf55VAAGERZrfUk5LRV8W
    40QEgN3XqzVqQ5q3M4NXK5H6BjzBafJla8Am2XFO653az90M1rMLP2RhMTbW
    eXC31YIF/EL8TUgvp1TV2KhV85l8VBP7psryplZ+bVSrbJGpTai8bUoQga6R
    RN7tYJzbs+OTwZvB9XusVtcaVaDdkrm2/5SYa/uHc2nT3xjn9n3l6Vv5Q0L7
    VHA1/YAAfCQd1ft10lCzPFIyMpJK4WSd4PectHjoIqfvncWFVBVFrvBTb8HN
    Msi1zZO5ZkH/XyG2wb+BgHU3M0KQ6hL5dRYsKo2rFfh/noBOyxLQ8ecEENJP
    PuVGHR3V9+q2d5/s0Nr1d9H0rg5fv8KyZVLHZrbLo/bzdQ9Qr/bc9a3WnL0H
    uFv5fviOuK202WMPcLbV9U/3y6aPm4ohy87Vr7bFf8DAXnmkDQAA
    --655616-928515508-924899312=:6094--