Antwort: Re: Bug in WinNT 4.0 SP4

From: tschweikleat_private
Date: Tue Apr 27 1999 - 12:03:52 PDT

     David LeBlanc wrote:
    >At 03:15 PM 4/19/99 +-200, Alvaro Gilabert wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>I supose it is a bug and I will explain why do I think so
    >>You can exceed the limit in the number of chars allowed in a filename.
    >WinNT does allow it. You can move a folder to a deeper one exceeding it.
    >
    >That's because the limit isn't where you think it is.  From the
    >documentation on CreateFile in the SDK:
    >
    >Windows NT: You can use paths longer than MAX_PATH characters by calling
    >the wide (W) version of CreateFile and prepending *\\?\* to the path. The
    >*\\?\* tells the function to turn off path parsing. This lets you use paths
    >that are nearly 32,000 Unicode characters long. You must use
    >fully-qualified paths with this technique. This also works with UNC names.
    >The *\\?\* is ignored as part of the path. For example,
    >*\\?\C:\myworld\private* is seen as *C:\myworld\private*, and
    >*\\?\UNC\tom_1\hotstuff\coolapps* is seen as *\\tom_1\hotstuff\coolapps*.
    >===============================
    >
    >So it seems that if you use the APIs properly, you can deal with extremely
    >long paths.  When you move things around, it is very likely that you are
    >dealing with relative names, not absolute names.
    >

    >David LeBlanc
    >dleblancat_private

    While following this tread I tried it out. View seconds later my NT server
    rebooted.

    Trying to create a 'reboot-server-path' from a client - impossible. Seems as if
    such path must be created from server console. But what about a carefully
    designed program installabel on the server, using the wide variant to create
    directories - creating paths exceeding MAX_PATH then setting a share to such a
    program?

    WinNT crashes within this scenario, every time a client wants to access this
    share.
    One simpler scenario: install a service. Exceed MAX_PATH. Start this service at
    system startup - watch the server rebooting.

    THIS IS A BUG - No excuse.

    ---
    Thomas Schweikle <tschweikleat_private>