Re: SunScan version 2.0 available

From: Bill Royds (Bill_Roydsat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 30 1999 - 09:16:46 PDT

    When you send out software by electronic means, including email, it should have
    a MD5 checksum with it and a security key (PGP for example).
    I, like many other sysadmins am wary of software sent through mail with
    verification of source.
    Sun would be very embarassed if a trojan program was send under Sun.com name.

    ***********IMPORTANT SUNSCAN RELEASE UPDATE, PLEASE READ********************

    TO: REGISTERED SUNSCAN USERS

    The version of SunScan 2.0 that went out on 4/27/1999 night had a corrupted
    file. In addition, the sending process was interrupted, and only part of our
    EMAIL address list was processed. If you received the previous SunScan 2.0
    version, please DO NOT use it; use the attached version instead. We apologize
    for any inconvenience.

    We are pleased to provide you with the latest version of SunScan, Release
    2.0.

    The following feature enhancements are included:

    1- Recognition of Solaris local language packages

    2- Ability to check a Sun system against the minimum or current revision of a
       Year 2000 patch

    3- Ability to report the required Year 2000 patch list based on the system
       configuration by checking the patch and package dependencies.

    For further details please refer to the man page (sunscan.man) attached.
    To extract the software (sunscan.tar.Z) attached, follow these instructions:

    1- Save the software attachment as sunscan.tar.Z on the system where Sunscan
       will be used.

    2- Expand the file sunscan.tar.Z using the command,
       zcat sunscan.tar.Z|tar -xf -
       This will expand the file in the current directory.

    Please send any issues or comments to sunscan2000-supportat_private