Re: SunScan version 2.0 available

From: Crawford, Nick (ncrawforat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 30 1999 - 12:05:28 PDT

    Date sent:      	Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:16:46 -0400
    Send reply to:  	Bill_Roydsat_private
    From:           	Bill Royds <Bill_Roydsat_private>
    Subject:        	Re: SunScan version 2.0 available
    Originally to:  	sunscan2000-supportat_private
    To:             	BUGTRAQat_private

    > When you send out software by electronic means, including email, it should
    have
    > a MD5 checksum with it and a security key (PGP for example).
    > I, like many other sysadmins am wary of software sent through mail with
    > verification of source.
    > Sun would be very embarassed if a trojan program was send under Sun.com
    name.
    [*SNIP*]

    Glad someone mentioned this, I too suffered some paranoia over this file
    today, when I checked into SunScan's home page, it still lists v1.2 as
    current (as of 3pm 04/30/1999).  A PGP signature would have allowed me to
    roll out this new version and rescan our servers and Solaris boxen today,
    rather then waiting for sun to post the new version to their web site.

    check out http://www.sun.com/y2000/sunscan/ for this beautiful product.

    -Nick Crawford

    --
    Nicholas P. Crawford