Re: *Huge* security hole in Oracle 8.0.5 with Intellegent agent

From: John Ritchie (ritchiejat_private)
Date: Fri Apr 30 1999 - 16:49:03 PDT

    On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Anthony Clarke wrote:

> [...]

    Here's the followup for this (rather, the original story):

    I opened a TAR with Oracle on this and, after typical Oracle shuffling
    ("It's not a bug it's a feature", "We don't know how that got there",
    "You'll have to file an Enhancement Request", etc)  they finally got
    back to me today to say that this will be fixed in future releases (8.0.6,
    etc.).  On current releases one should just chown the
    $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oratclsh to oracle (or whoever the install userid is); on
    Linux and Solaris that will also remove the suid bit.

    When I pressed them as to whether or not they would release patches and
    information to users who already have 8.0.5 installed they said they had
    no mechanism to do that.  In other words, YOYO.  (They could learn
    something about patch releases and access from their good buddies at Sun).

    So if you've installed Oracle's Intelligent Agent or aren't sure if it's
    installed then check your oratclsh and fix that bit.  The only systems
    I've had experience on are 8.0.5 for Solaris and Linux but I'd check any
    8.x release on any platform if it were mine.

    John Ritchie
    Systems Software Analyst
    Oregon University System