FW: ColdFusion Security Alert

From: securityzoneat_private
Date: Fri Apr 30 1999 - 14:00:00 PDT

    -----FW: <bulk.742.19990430160823at_private>-----

    Date: Friday, 30 Apr 1999 17:00:00 -0400
    From: securityzoneat_private
    To: SecurityZoneat_private
    Subject: ColdFusion Security Alert

    ** Allaire respects the Web and the privacy of those who use
    ** it.  To avoid future messages from Allaire, send
    ** e-mail to securityzoneat_private with the subject: REMOVE

    Dear ColdFusion Customer --

    I am writing to notify you of security vulnerabilities exposed by the example
    applications installed with ColdFusion Server doc
    umentation in versions 2.0 and higher. You may have already heard about these issues
    in one of the email communications that we
     sent when we first reported them to customers in February 1999, in the Allaire
    Security Zone (http://www.allaire.com/security)
    .

    PROBLEM
    The example applications installed with the ColdFusion Server documentation expose
    vulnerabilities that include the ability to
    view, delete, and upload files. These issues affect example applications included in
    ColdFusion Server 2.0 and higher.

    SOLUTION
    We strongly recommend you address these issues using one of the solutions below:

    1. Remove the documentation directory (CFDOCS) from the server (this will not affect
    functionality of the server). In general,
    we recommend that you do not install sample code, example applications, or
    documentation on servers accessible on the Internet.

    2. Install the ColdFusion Server 4.0.1 Update, available for download from the
    DevCenter (http://www.allaire.com/developer). (N
    ote the 4.0.1 Update requires ColdFusion Server 4.0.)

    DETAILED INFORMATION
    More details on these issues and ColdFusion security in general are available in the
    Allaire Security Zone, http://www.allaire.
    com/security (see bulletins ASB99-01 and ASB99-02). We strongly recommend that you
    take a moment to visit the Security Zone to
    familiarize yourself with ColdFusion security issues.

    We first addressed these sample application issues in early February. We are
    contacting customers again because today we receiv
    ed reports of stepped up attacks exploiting these vulnerabilities, and we want to
    ensure that customers take steps to protect t
    hemselves. We apologize that you may have received this letter late on a Friday, but
    given the importance of this issue, we fel
    t it was necessary to contact customers again today.

    Thank you again for choosing ColdFusion. We value your commitment and support. If
    you have additional questions please feel fre
    e to visit our site or email us at infoat_private

    Regards,
    Steve Clark
    Vice President of Marketing, Allaire
    .