Re: Possible Linuxconf Vulnerability

From: Patrick J. Volkerding (gonzoat_private)
Date: Sat May 01 1999 - 12:03:25 PDT

    On Sat, 1 May 1999, Desync wrote:

    > Where do you draw the line between poor system managment and exploitable
    > programs. If I set suid root on /bin/bash, is that to say its an
    > exploit?
    >
    > Obviously, someone would have to remove clock for this to occur. Which
    > would conclude that either A) you had incorrect permissions for clock B)
    > they had allready used some means of another true exploit to cause other
    > program to misbehave.

    Not necessarily.  Maybe there was never a 'clock' on the system to begin
    with;  since the real 'clock' binary was phased out of the util-linux
    sources a year or so ago, what you get varies by Linux distribution.  On
    Red Hat, 'clock' is a symbolic link to 'hwclock', a newer utility.  On
    Slackware, we continue to maintain a 'clock' binary as part of our
    util-linux package (in addition to the newer 'hwclock').  Other
    distributions may not provide any binary or link for 'clock', relying
    solely on 'hwclock'.

    Take care,

    Pat