Re: Outlook 98 allows spoofing internal users

From: Toby Chamberlain (tobyat_private)
Date: Tue May 04 1999 - 18:05:03 PDT

    Howdy,

    I _was_ able to reproduce the exploit to great effect... I created a
    perl script to automate the process, passed it on to the office clown
    and had a great time listening to the varied match-making arrangements
    he set up.

    The problem seems to be that Outlook (in the default setup) hides the
    address part of the reply-to header when using it to create the value to
    put in the "To" box of the reply. A reply-to header of "John Smith
    <jsmithat_private>" shows up as simply "John Smith" in the "To:" box
    when you hit reply... but of course so does "John Smith
    <merry_pranksterat_private>".  The other mail readers I tested it on
    (Hotmail and Netscape Messenger) showed the reply-to header in full.

    Cheers
    Toby