Re: wuftp2.4.2academ beta 12-18 exploit

From: Mariusz Marcinkiewicz (tmoggat_private)
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 01:12:55 PDT

    On Mon, 3 May 1999, Gregory Newby wrote:

    > wu-ftpd and variants that use files /etc/ftp* for configuration
    > can easily help protect you against the many recent variants that
    > exploit buffer overflows with MKDIR.  All the varieties I've
    > seen require creating a directory or file - that's where the
    > overflow happens.

    khmm, and what about local users? they can get root still
    and more: I don't need +w access on ftp, if I create dirs
    in $home and telnet 0 21 I can get root by simple RMD
    ok, that's better protection then patches (all I've seen didn't work) but
    you have bug still, not remote but bug always...

    if you wanna be secure you have to install new ftpd

    greetz

    --
    tmoggat_private