Re: wuftp2.4.2academ beta 12-18 exploit

From: laqat_private
Date: Wed May 05 1999 - 06:00:32 PDT

    > Workaround:
    >
    > wu-ftpd and variants that use files /etc/ftp* for configuration
    > can easily help protect you against the many recent variants that
    > exploit buffer overflows with MKDIR.  All the varieties I've
    > seen require creating a directory or file - that's where the
    > overflow happens.
    >
    > In /etc/ftpaccess, you have the option to specify what commands
    > may and may not be run by particular users.  Just add lines to
    > specify that user anonymous (or whatever others you want) cannot
    > put, delete, mkdir, etc.
    >
    > E.g., lines like these:
    >
    > chmod           no              anonymous
    > delete          no              anonymous
    > overwrite       no              anonymous
    > rename          no              anonymous
    > mkdir           no              anonymous
    > upload          no              anonymous

    if you still want to let anonymous users create directories,
    take a look at path-filter option for that very same file.

    # path-filter...
    path-filter  anonymous  /etc/pathmsg  ^[-A-Za-z0-9_\.]*$  ^\.  ^-

    when i tried the exploit on myself i got alot of "Permission denied (pathname)",
    so at least it seems to work.