Re: Sun Microsystems Leaks extensive Amounts of Information About

From: Alan Coopersmith (alancat_private)
Date: Wed May 12 1999 - 09:56:00 PDT

    > When logging a support call I do not often consider what might happen to the
    > call notes.  I am sure that Sun are not the only company doing this and this
    > is not aimed at Sun in particular, they are just an example.  Serious
    > consideration should be given to what information you are prepared to pass
    > to those who support you - do you trust the rest of their customers (at
    > best) or the entire internet (at worst).

    The actual service order notes are not available to customers through SunSolve
    - but parts of bug reports that may be generated by them are.  At least a few
    years ago when I worked in SunService they reminded us not to put customer
    information in the public part of bug reports, but there was no review system
    to make sure we didn't screw up.  If you want to protect yourself, make sure
    that if your call results in a bug report you go to SunSolve and review the
    public copy to make sure there's nothing in there you wouldn't want others to
    see and if there is, call up your service rep and make them move it to the
    sun-internal-access-only section of the bug report.

    Disclaimer: I no longer work in Tech Support at Sun and do not and cannot
    speak for SunService or whatever they're called after the latest "realignment
    of the Sun planets".

    Alan Coopersmith                        alancat_private
    Univ. of California at Berkeley         http://soar.Berkeley.EDU/~alanc/
    aka:     alanc@{CSUA,OCF,CS,BMRC,EECS,ucsee.eecs,cory.eecs}.Berkeley.EDU