Re: Citrix Winframe client for Linux

From: Vic Abell (abeat_private)
Date: Fri May 28 1999 - 14:28:31 PDT

    David Terrell writes (in part):

    > [ presumably this holds true for the other unix clients as well, but
    >   all I have is linux to test on ]

    It's true for the "newer" UNIX clients -- e.g., 3.0 for Solaris --
    but not for older ones -- e.g., 2.6 for Solaris.

    > The Citrix Winframe linux client (used for accessing Winframe and
    > Windows NT Server Terminal Edition) has a simple configuration section.
    > Perhaps too simple....  All configuration information is stored in a
    > directory /usr/lib/ICAClient/config which is mode 777.  This in and
    > of itself is bad news, since any user on the system can overwrite
    > configuration data.

    We have refused to install the Solaris 3.0 client for this
    reason and have opened a case with Citrix about this and
    other objectionable aspects (non-security ones). Those who
    have Citrix support contracts, the case number is 23117500,
    and you're welcome to join your complaints to ours.

    > The situation is actually much worse than that.
    >
    > When you start up the actual session manager (wfcmgr) you get a listbox
    > of configured sessions.  The data for this listbox is stored in the mode
    > 777 file /usr/lib/ICAClient/config/appsrv.ini.  So  there's a single
    > config file shared between all users.  A sample session profile follows:

    > Yep.  Passwords are stored in some kind of hash.  What that hash
    > is doesn't
    > really matter since you can just bring up wfcmgr and log in as that user.

    It can be made not quite that easy.  The administrative
    controls on the server end allow you to disable acceptance
    of any stored passwords.  That has always been true, and
    we have always done that, no matter where the clients were
    designed to store passwords.

    Of course, that doesn't mean people can't try to store
    passwords -- it just means they won't be usable.

    > Terrible.

    Yes, the newer Citrix clients are most unlikable.

    > I tried mailing both supportat_private and securityat_private but
    > neither of these addresses exist.

    The best you can do without a support contract is post a
    complaint to their "forum," reachable via www.citrix.com.

    > Workaround?  wfcmgr supports the -icaroot parameter, but you basically
    > need to copy all the files in for it to work.  So duplicate the tree in
    > your home directory, fix permissions, and do wfcmgr -icaroot $HOME/.ica.

    You may not need to duplicate all files.  With older clients
    it's possible to duplicate only the files the user has to be able
    to change -- e.g., the three .ini files in .../config -- and use
    symbolic links to the rest.

    > Alternatively, don't use it.

    Also consider using the older clients and disabling the acceptance
    of the password at the server.

    Since the newer clients also seem to fall back to a ~/.ICAClient
    sub-directory, it might be possible to delete the world-accessible
    directories and files.  I've been able to do that, but only with
    partial success.

    > Distressing that the company that was "bringing multiuser
    > concurrent logons
    > to Windows NT" makes such a little effort at understanding multiuser
    > security.... [further editorialization left to the reader]

    I believe Citrix tried to make it easier for people to generate
    their own configurations and didn't understand the security
    implications of what they were doing.  It's too bad they so sadly
    compromised the secure use of their reasonably good product.