Re: IBM eNetwork Firewall for AIX

From: Andreas Siegert (afxat_private)
Date: Sat May 29 1999 - 04:42:25 PDT

    Hi Marc!

    Quoting Marc Heuse (marcat_private) on Sat, May 29, 1999 at 12:29:25AM +0200:
    > But to set one thing straight: It's *not* IBM's fault. The IBM Firewall is a
    > product of another company called Raleigh (I hope thats spelled correctly).
    > In fact, the IBM AIX Security Team, especially Troy Bollinger, was very
    > helpful and getting a fix - a correct one - out. It's the other company
    > who writes security software but really seems to have no knowledge.
    > sad but true

    Unfortunately Raleigh is not another company, Raleigh (or RTP) in this case is
    the location in North Carolina of the IBM people who produce the IBM firewall
    and most other IBM products related to networking, whereas AIX is developed
    in Austin,TX. So it is unfortunately really a full IBM product :-(

    Me thinks Austin should have developed the IBM firewall, the result would
    probably be much more satisfying.

    AIX 4.3 now has a good packet filter as well as IPSEC support (even though
    most people in AIX land donīt seem to know) and there are enough free proxy
    solutions out there to build a decent firewall with AIX without the need to
    use the stuff from Raleigh.

    afx

    --
    Hackito ergo sum!