IBM eNetwork Firewall for AIX

From: Paul Cammidge (paulat_private)
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 12:33:53 PDT

    The IBM eNetwork Firewall for AIX contains some poorly written scripts,
    which create temporary files in /tmp without making any attempt to
    validate the existance of the file.  This allows any user with shell
    access to such a firewall to corrupt or possibly modify system files by
    creating links, pipes, etc with the same name.

    In a simple example submitted to IBM, /etc/passwd was overwritten.  This
    example has been published on one of their support web pages as a 'local
    fix'.

    The problem was reported to IBM early in January.  To the best of my
    knowledge, the correct procedures have been followed.  Initially, IBM
    responded by telling me that it was common practice for software to make
    use of /tmp.  They suggested changing the permissions to prevent users
    from creating symbolic links to sensitive files.

    An APAR (IR39562) was opened on 18/01/99 and closed on 13/03/99.  The
    fix has not yet been released.  This definately applies to version 3.2,
    and probably others.

    Anyone running this software and has users with shell accounts should be
    aware that the potential exists for these users to corrupt files which
    they dont have access to.

    cheers
    paul