Re: weaknesses in dns label encoding

From: Kragen Sitaker (kragenat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 04 1999 - 11:04:49 PDT

    der Mouse wrote:
    > Why?  How is it a favor to anyone to allow some illegal names but not
    > others?  (Of course, I don't entirely understand why check-names is
    > optional at all; I can't see how it's a favor to anyone to ever accept
    > illegal names....)

    First, according to RFC 1035's recommended grammar, the following DNS
    names are invalid:

    3.206.238.207.in-addr.arpa
    www.inria.fr
    io.com

     . . . the first because it contains labels beginning with digits, and
    the others because they contain two-letter labels.

    Second, although it is by no means clear, it appears that
    RFC 1035 merely *recommends* the use of domain names that conform to the
    grammar, saying, "The following syntax will result in fewer problems
    with many applications that use domain names"; it does not require it.

    This grammar is followed by a statement saying, "The labels must follow
    the rules for ARPANET host names," followed by some explication of what
    that means.  It is unclear whether this means that labels must follow
    these rules in order to conform to the recommended grammar or that
    labels must follow these rules to conform to the requirements of the
    RFC.

    All of this is in a section labeled, "2.3.1. Preferred name syntax".

    Further down, in section 5.1 where the format of the database files is
    defined, it is stated, "Quoting conventions allow arbitrary characters
    to be stored in domain names."  The quoting conventions described have
    no purpose other than to allow the violation of the recommendations of
    section 2.3.1.

    Are there other RFCs that describe allowed syntax for domain names?
    The following RFCs are listed as updating RFC1035:
    1101
    1183
    1348
    1876
    1982
    1995
    1996
    2065
    2181
    2136
    2137
    2308

    I have only read a few of these.

    --
    <kragenat_private>       Kragen Sitaker     <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
    TurboLinux is outselling NT in Japan's retail software market 10 to 1,