Re: Windows NT 4.0, 95, 98 (?) networked PRN flaw

From: Jefferson Ogata (jogataat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 08 1999 - 11:13:36 PDT

    Along similar lines, I've discovered (through bad code) that certain NFS
    implementations will allow you to create files with a / in their names.
    Obviously, it's pretty difficult to get rid of these files after the fact.
    As far as I've been able to tell, all UNIX system calls parse paths, and
    will always treat a path like "a/b" as the file "b" in the directory "a",
    rather than the file "a/b" in the current directory. Not even rm -r on the
    directory could clean this up.

    The only way I've found to get rid of these files is by using the same NFS
    client code that was used to create them (whew!). Note that this code has
    to be "buggy" in the sense that it doesn't correctly parse paths. Yes, I
    did make a mistake. Erp!

    This could be used to create a pretty nasty DoS, if an attacker has write
    access to your NFS filesystem (this is more common than you might think).

    I wonder what would happen if I created a file called "/etc/passwd" in
    the current directory... probably nothing. But who knows?

    --
    Jefferson Ogata <jogataat_private> National Oceanographic Data Center
    You can't step into the same river twice. -- Herakleitos