Re: Windows NT 4.0, 95, 98 (?) networked PRN flaw

From: der Mouse (mouseat_private)
Date: Thu Jun 10 1999 - 07:24:48 PDT

    > Along similar lines, I've discovered (through bad code) that certain
    > NFS implementations will allow you to create files with a / in their
    > names.

    > The only way I've found to get rid of these files is by using the
    > same NFS client code that was used to create them (whew!).  Note that
    > this code has to be "buggy" in the sense that it doesn't correctly
    > parse paths.

    I don't see how that follows.  Not all OSes use / as a pathname
    component separator.  (I think the Mac uses :, for example.)  For that
    matter, it's not clear to me that all OSes use file names that are
    formed - or partially formed - by concatenating component strings with
    a distinguished separator character.  (As a simple example of what else
    could be used, consider a length-and-contents list of
    length-and-contents components.)

    I also don't *think* the NFS spec forbids slashes in pathname
    components, at least not back when I did my NFS implementation -
    RFC1094 doesn't seem to, anyhow - which means that an NFS server that
    *doesn't* allow this is arguably buggy.  (For that matter, I don't
    think NULs are forbidden either.)  And there's no error code for
    "everything looks fine except the "filename" you specified is
    unacceptable to me"; the only one I can see that could reasonably be
    used is NFSERR_IO, and that's a bit of a stretch.

    Put these together and the conclusion I come to is that the only reason
    this sort of problem hasn't been seen more is that all NFS
    implementations (except for a set of measure zero :) are on UNIXoid
    systems and hence are "well-behaved" with respect to slashes and NULs
    and the like.

    					der Mouse

    			       mouseat_private