Re: Windows NT 4.0, 95, 98 (?) networked PRN flaw

From: Neil Franklin (franklinat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 23:51:49 PDT

    Jefferson Ogata wrote:

    > The only way I've found to get rid of these files is by using the same NFS
    > client code that was used to create them (whew!).

    I would actually call this an nfsd Bug, that it accepts such paths.
    Servers should not trust clients.

    > This could be used to create a pretty nasty DoS
    > I wonder what would happen if I created a file called "/etc/passwd" in
    > the current directory... probably nothing. But who knows?

    Annother DoS possibility: your backup software may crap on backing up
    such a file, or even worse backup flawlessly and then crap on restoring
    from an tape with such an file.

    Old story: A friend of mine, years ago (so I can not remember the
    details), had a Sun with an Appletalk deamon, which somehow managed to
    bypass the "/" checks in the kernal. Macs allow "/" im Filenames, so
    such a file got created. Whatever backup software he used crapped on
    reading back the tape with these filenames in them.

    As you have had such a file on your system, I would recommend an test
    restore of the directory involved.

    --
    Neil Franklin, Sysadmin, Architecture & CAAD, ETH Zuerich
    franklinat_private http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/~franklin/