Re: ssh advirsory

From: Jeff Long (longat_private)
Date: Wed Jun 09 1999 - 13:23:23 PDT

    altellezat_private wrote:

    >         Aleph ... Sorry if it is an old bug ...
    >

    >         i have tested a bug in ssh-2.0.12.
    >
    >         any remote attacker can guess  real account in the machine
    >
    >         Details
    >
    >         when a ssh client connects to the daemon it has a number ( default
    >         three ) of attempts to guess the correct password before
    >         disconnecting if you try to connect with a correct login, but
    >         you only have once if you try to connect with a no correct login.
    >
    >         EXAMPLE
    >
    >         alfonso is not user ( login ) in 192.168.0.1
    >

    >         $ssh 192.168.0.1 -l alfonso
    >         alfonso's password: <hit ENTER key>
    >
    >         Disconnected; authentication error (Authentication method disabled.).
    >         $

    Interesting, in my installation of 2.0.13 I don't even get one chance to
    enter a password when I use a login with no account on the machine:

    long@somehost[15:18:44]~ $ slogin -l jkashrj somehost

    Disconnected; authentication error (No further authentication methods
    available.).
    long@somehost[15:19:07]~ $

    Perhaps a misconfiguration on my part but I'd say that is bad behavior.

    Jeff Long