hhp: Remote pine exploit.

From: Elaich Of Hhp (hhpat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 10:04:14 PDT

                          The hhp presents...

                 The hhp-pine remote exploit advisory.
                               6/22/99
                        By: elaich of the hhp.
                         http://hhp.hemp.net/

       A  few  months  ago  I  found  a bigger problem with the
    charset   bug   then  imagined.  With  a  uuencode/uudecode
    method  in  the  charset, and an index.html of a site, it's
    possible  to run any program/script wanted to on the remote
    system.  When  the  email  is read it launches lynx -source
    and  grabs  the index.html which is then uudecoded and ran.
    This  includes  root and non-root users infected.  Many big
    servers run pine, and having fingerd running,  most  of the
    time allows us complete access to get every username on the
    server, which then is simple to send the infected emails to
    each user.
       We have tested this on our own systems with full success.
    These  operating systems include BSD, Linux, IRIX, AIX, SCO,
    and SunOS.
       I'm  sure  this will be fixed in the newer version along
    with  the  patch  already  made  for  the  current version.
    hhp-pine.tar   is   available  to  download  at  our  site,
    http://hhp.hemp.net/.

       The  current pine 4.10 patch is available to download at
    http://www.geek-girl.com/bugtraq/1999_1/0532.html

            Jobs/Probs/Bugs/Etc. -> hhpat_private

    -elaich

    elaich of the hhp.            hhp-1999(c)
    Email:  hhpat_private
    Web:    http://hhp.hemp.net/
    Phone:  713-451-6972
    hhp-ms: hhp.hemp.net, port:7777, pass:hhp