VMware Security Alert

From: Jason R. Rhoads (jason.rhoadsat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 19:18:35 PDT

    "On June 22nd, 1999, VMware, Inc. was notified of a security problem with
    VMware for Linux 1.0.1. This security hole is also present in all previous
    versions of VMware for Linux. The security hole has been fixed in VMware for
    Linux 1.0.2 released today. The security hole allows a buffer overrun attack
    against VMware for Linux to result in unprivileged root access to a machine
    An updated version of VMware for Linux which fixes this problem is available
    now, see below. As far as we know, this breach has never been used for malicious
    purposes, or caused any harm to customer installations. VMware, Inc. apologizes
    for the inconvenience to our users."

    http://www.vmware.com/news/security.html