Outlook denial of service

From: YoDuh (yoduhat_private)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 13:24:02 PDT

    I've found a problem in qualcomm popper (and presumabley others) in that it
    doesn't check for an existing X-UIDL: headers, but simpley uses it when the
    client sends in a uidl request.  This problem can manifest itself as an
    effective denial of service attack against microsoft outlook clients
    because outlook looks for unique uidl's for each message and if there are
    duplicates it will hang prior to downloading any mail.  I've put up a small
    web site detailing the problem and some possible work arounds/fixes at

    	http://getaclue.org/yoduh/outlook.html