Re: Outlook denial of service

From: Aleph One (aleph1at_private)
Date: Wed Jun 30 1999 - 12:27:49 PDT

    On Mon, Jun 28, 1999 at 02:52:34PM -0700, Nicholas W. Blasgen wrote:
    > I tested it with Outlook 2000 with Windows 98 and had no problem.
    >
    > Nicholas Blasgen
    > Refract Media
    >
    > "The hard part was figuring out how to destroy the
    > physical universe. But I think we've solved that."
    >   - Marcus Larry, 1999

    As Neil Christie <neilat_private> pointed out in private email
    is this the fault of Outlook and not Qpopper. Here is what he
    had to say:

    The POP3 RFC suggests that duplicate UIDLs are acceptable for example
    in the situation that there are two identical copies of 1 message in
    a mailbox.

    As such the fault is with Outlook etc in failing to handle this as
    opposed to in qpopper for generating / allowing them.

    Whether the POP server should accept incoming  UIDL headers in the
    message or always generate its own is another issue.

     From ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1939.txt

    --
    Aleph One / aleph1at_private
    http://underground.org/