Re: Fwd: Information on MS99-022

From: Weld Pond (weldat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 05 1999 - 06:14:47 PDT

    On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Renaud Deraison wrote:

    > And I'm writing a free security auditing tool, and I won't be able to
    > implement a security check for this, because I'm not a "vendor" ?
    > (apparently only software vendors are welcomed to the ICSA's IDC --
    >  they did not reply to my request of being admitted in this consortium
    >  [so that I could get information about this flaw])

    I have an idea. To counter this information witholding problem, non-vendor
    individuals who find security problems should have mailing lists that only
    non-vendor individuals are on.  Yeah, sure the information will eventually
    leak out but it will take much longer for the problems to be fixed by the
    vendors. Of course Microsoft and members of their selected consortia would
    be forbidden to join the list.

    Does this seem like a good idea? Well personally I think it is crazy but
    it is exactly what Microsoft is asking individual security contributers
    and practitioners to accept, albeit shoe on other foot.

    -weld