Re: L0pht 'Domino' Vulnerability is alive and well

From: Weld Pond (weldat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 06 1999 - 06:09:17 PDT

    On Mon, 5 Jul 1999, Aleph One wrote:

    > http://www.l0pht.com/advisories/domino3.txt
    >
    > It seems nine months after L0pht posted their advisory on file view
    > problems in Lotus Notes, the problem is alive and well.

    The issues concerning incorrect Notes ACLs and using

    www.server.com/database.nsf?Open

    to access databases anonymously when ACLs
    are incorrect were first raised in an earlier L0pht Advisory:

    http://www.l0pht.com/advisories/domino2.txt

    This advisory from 1/98 goes into better detail than the domino3.txt
    advisory about the improper ACL problem giving anonymous users access to
    Notes databases. Improper ACLs have been a staple of Notes web deployments
    since we wrote our first Notes advisory back in 1996! No matter how many
    advisories are written the problem doesn't seem to go away.

    I haven't had a chance to look at Notes R5 yet but I hope Lotus has taken
    some of our earlier suggestions. One was improving the default ACLs and
    their inheritance from templates.  Another was simplifying the UI for
    checking that all the databases on a server have the proper ACLs
    restricting anonymous access. These improvements will go a long way
    towards solving this problem.

    -weld