DCOM Security references

From: David LeBlanc (dleblancat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 12 1999 - 23:34:27 PDT

    [note - cross-posted to BUGTRAQ and NTBUGTRAQ]

    While at the Black Hat conference this week, JD Glaser was pointing out in
    an interesting presentation that DCOM security is very important, and that
    DCOM exposes a lot of functionality on many systems.  He also stated that
    there wasn't much written about DCOM security, so it seems that this area
    isn't as well documented as it might be (or at least many people aren't
    aware of where to find it).

    I've been investigating DCOM security issues for quite some time, and
    started putting checks for various DCOM issues into the ISS scanner as far
    back as 2 years ago (v4.3).  I put checks for a fairly comprehensive set of
    DCOM security issues into the 5.6 version.  This isn't meant to be an
    advertisement for ISS (my former employer), but simply pointing out that
    the help system of the scanner does contain some good information on DCOM
    security.  The help system can be had for free by downloading an eval copy
    from ISS' site.

    Some resources that I've found very helpful in understanding this area are:

    Current Win32 SDK - very good write-up, and very thorough.  Older SDKs were
    a bit sparse on this topic, but recent versions are good.

    Pop up dcomcnfg, play with it, use the context-sensitive help to understand
    what the settings all mean.  Also good for understanding what is exposed on
    your machine.  Oleview is another really interesting application.

    There were 2 articles on this in the MSJ (Microsoft Systems Journal) last
    fall - should be available online.

    It is also a Good Thing to understand what COM and DCOM objects are
    available on your system, and as Mike Howard has pointed out, it is
    especially important on a IIS web server - an .asp script can open these
    things fairly easily.

    Under normal circumstances, objects are secured properly and require admin
    access to run things remotely.  Also, if you happen to be writing a DCOM
    app, understanding the security from the start can make a big difference.
    It seems that DCOM is getting used more and more often, and so will
    probably be increasingly important to understand.

    JD asked me to post this - I hope it might be helpful.

    David LeBlanc
    dleblancat_private