Re: PGP 6.5.1 has been released

From: Mark Wooding (mdwat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 13 1999 - 02:14:13 PDT

    ___Viper___ _ <viper_____at_private> wrote:

    > "Having the option" never hurt anyone.  You can produce SDAs, and use
    > them if you wish, AND you can NOT open executables that arrived in
    > your mailbox and you don't trust.

    In this particular case, it's even sillier than usual.

    There's now an active attack against symmetric passphrases.  I can
    fiddle with an SDA in transit so that it does its job normally and also
    emails me the passphrase that successfully decrypted the archive.

    So basically it's `protected by PGP's strong cryptography' which is
    entirely wasted by a brain-damaged idea that some marketroid probably
    thought would look kewl with a tick in the box next to it.

    And that's without Steven Bellovin's completely legitimate concerns
    about `executable content' in general: rich computing experiences and
    all that.

    Duh.

    > It's madness to say that it is a "security threat".  With your logic,
    > e-mailing is a security threat as well ;-) Who knows what you can send
    > over e-mail !

    Quite so.  I make sure that my mail reader won't do anything with a
    message other than display it in a text window until I've had a chance
    to examine it and decide what should happen next.

    Executable email messages are one of the worst ideas I've ever heard
    of.  And that's saying something.

    [Thanks to Clive Jones, who came up with the attack above.]

    -- [mdw]