Re: ircd exploit in ircu based code (fwd)

From: Andrea Cocito (blackyeat_private)
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 16:28:02 PDT

    >From: Kevin Day <toastyat_private>
    >To: BUGTRAQat_private
    >Subject: ircd exploit in ircu based code
    >
    >Most irc networks using ircu based servers have a bug that can cause users
    >to segfault the server.
    >
    >In m_join, the code doesn't check to see if get_channel returned failure (by
    >returning NULL).

    As of now I can't even find this bug in the oldest versions of our code,
    for sure isn't there in u2.10.06, I still have to check on the previous
    2.10.05 that is still packaged in some Linux/BSD distributions.

    Would you please let me know in what version of the Undernet's code you
    found it and, in case there is still a way to core the current servers
    report the way to exploit it on bugsat_private ?

    We would appreciate a lot if any bug that can cause a server coredump
    is reported on bugsat_private with a few days of advantage respect
    to the other public lists... so we can fix it on te fly (we happen to
    have a living network with 38k users on it...).

    Thanks a lot,

    Andrea aka Nemesi,

    Undernet's coder committee.