Solaris 2.6/7 NTP permissions problem

From: john_smithat_private
Date: Wed Jul 14 1999 - 09:21:13 PDT

         Hi All!

         I reported this bug to Sun approx. 3 weeks ago.  Haven't gotten a
         response yet so I'm going ahead and releasing it.

         Problem:

         I've noticed that the XNTP daemon on Solaris 2.6 and 7 creates
         its drift file (default=/etc/inet/ntp.drift) world-writable (666).
         Even changing the permissions to something sane the permissions
         eventually get set back to 666 (not sure if this is at daemon restart,
         update of the drift file or both).

         Work-around:

         Simply add a umask command to the beginning of the XNTP startup
         script (/etc/init.d/xntpd).

         John Smith
         QMS, Inc.