Re: Exploit of rpc.cmsd

From: Casper Dik (casperat_private)
Date: Thu Jul 15 1999 - 14:58:04 PDT

    >(What about Solaris 2.4?)

    Both CDE 1.0.1/1.0.2  (which have seperate rpc.cmsd binaries; these
    were merged in later releases) and Solaris 2.4 patches will be released
    at a later date.

    >Be aware that when these patches[*] are applied, the existing rpc.cmsd
    >process (if one exists) seems to be killed in a *prepatch* script--that
    >is, *before* the programs are updated.

    Thanks for noticing this; I've notified the persons responsible for
    this patch; it will be addressed in a future release.

    >I couldn't begin to speculate about why Sun didn't make this a postpatch
    >script rather than a prepatch script.

    Neither could I; it's a mistake.

    Casper