Mail relay vulnerability in RedHat 5.0, 5.1, 5.2

From: David Luyer (luyerat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 03:12:54 PDT

    We have recently found ourself used as mail relays and put into the ORBS
    mail relay blocking system due to a bug in early anti-relay rulesets as
    used in both our local rules and RedHat 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 (even though we
    never touch RedHat on serious servers, somehow our home-brew rulesets ended
    up bug-compatible).

    It seems that some spammers out there have discovered the power of:

    RCPT TO: <"targetat_private"@relay.host.name>

    where relay.host.name is obtained by reverse DNS lookup.

    Users of sendmail 8.9.x of course have no problem, neither do those who have
    updated their mail relay prevention rulesets recently, but I think there are
    enough RedHat 5.0, 5.1 and 5.2 users who are unaware of the problem to make it
    worth sending this out.

    I have put out a quick little script which fixes this.  The script
    can be found at:
      ftp://typhaon.ucs.uwa.edu.au/pub/strobe-classb/RH5.0-5.2-patchscript

    This problem is checked for by my latest relay scanner at:
      ftp://typhaon.ucs.uwa.edu.au/pub/strobe-classb/strobe-classb-v1.8.tgz

    (some additional information about open relays and some problems they present
    can be found at http://typhaon.ucs.uwa.edu.au/presentations.html under
    'E-mail Security', but hopefully everyone is well-informed of the issues by
    now; that paper is quite dated even if it is under a year old)

    David.