Re: Mail relay vulnerability in RedHat 5.0, 5.1, 5.2

From: Callison, James P (callisonat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 14:05:20 PDT

    The sendmail.cf that comes with RedHat 5.x (sendmail 8.8.7) doesn't work
    against the open relay problem, although it does contain most of the rules
    needed to do so.

    The way I got around it was to cut out the Scheck_rcpt and Sremove_local
    stuff in sendmail.cf and replace them with similar rulesets I found at
    http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/check.html#check_rcpt . The Scheck_rcpt
    and Sremovelocal sections listed here will stop all of the (currently) known
    relaying methods.

    I originally tried editing the existing sendmail.cf sections, but that
    didn't work (I must've screwed somthing up, 'cause it started relaying
    *everything*), so I eventually cut out both existing sections and pasted in
    the sections on said Web page.

    Once I did the cut-n-paste thing, I got my machine out of the ORBS
    (http://www.orbs.com) database. If it doesn't stop all unauthorized
    relaying, it at least blocks enough that ORBS can't relay through it.

    James

    James P. Callison
    Network Administrator
    The University of Oklahoma Law Center
    callisonat_private
    Dumb things don't happen by accident. It takes a highly
    skilled village of idiots. -- AutoWeek, 29 Dec 1997