Logic Error in Management Edition NetWare install script for Dr.

From: Bayard G. Bell (bbell01at_private)
Date: Fri Jul 16 1999 - 08:43:15 PDT

    --------------581D6CD46C562FCE585900AD

            I sent this bug report to NAI on 6/28/99.  I haven't received
    any
    thanks, let alone been told of a patch.  I hope this post will shame
    them into addressing a problem that has been reported with a complete
    diagnosis of the problem.
            I apologize that all of the lists to which I am posting are not
    quite
    the right forums, but disclosure to public forums that care about such
    issues seems to be the only recourse when a vendor won't give you the
    time of day...

    -Bayard Bell
    Emory University

    Bayard wrote:

    >         Dr. Solomon's Management Edition 1.51 installing Toolkit 7.96 for
    > NetWare installs an update script with an incorrect conditional that
    > will cause the NTOOLKIT.NLM for NetWare 3.1X to be installed on a
    > NetWare 5 server.  The version condition in the MEUP.CFG beginning in
    > line PreInst6 of the [Toolkit Front End] section asks the system for the
    > NetWare 4.  If the version comes back as 4.X, then the script goes to
    > the NetWare 4 section and renames NTK4.NLM NTOOLKIT.NLM.  Otherwise, the
    > script assumes that the system is running NetWare 3.1X and renames
    > NTK3.NLM NTOOLKIT.NLM.  Obviously this script does not allow for NetWare
    > 5, which, because it is not reported to the script as NetWare 4.X, is
    > assumed to be NetWare 3.1X.  Loading the 3.1X NTOOLKIT promptly causes a
    > critical error in the server, although the server does seem to recover.
    > The version problem was confirmed by a checksum comparison.

    [The version 3.1X then unloads itself, leaving you without virus
    protection.  You can perform the installation manually, but I haven't
    gotten a manual install to work with the Management Edition console.]

    >         Furthermore, it has been my experience that a NetWare 5 SP2A server
    > loaded with all ManageWise 2.6 components (except InnocyLAN) and the
    > ARCServeIT 6.61 agent will experience a critical error when a client
    > attempts a read operation with the File Access Monitor.  The server
    > remains up but ceases to process client requests and will not down
    > itself properly.  No source of this error was determined at this time,
    > although it has been my experience that the file access monitor does not
    > work at all with NetWare 3.1X (the console locks up and the server does
    > not process client requests).
    >         Please let me know if you are aware of a configuration issue or whether
    > a fix is available.
    >
    > -Bayard Bell
    > Emory University
    --------------581D6CD46C562FCE585900AD

    begin:vcard
    n:Bell;Bayard
    tel;fax:(404) 727-0079
    tel;work:(404) 727-7157
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Emory University;Division of Campus Life
    version:2.1
    email;internet:bbell01at_private
    title:Local Support/MIS
    adr;quoted-printable:;;Drawer DDD=0D=0A605 Asbury Circle;Atlanta;Georgia;30322;
    x-mozilla-cpt:;-2912
    fn:Bayard Bell
    end:vcard

    --------------581D6CD46C562FCE585900AD--