Re: Redhat 6.0 cachemgr.cgi lameness

From: Henrik Nordstrom (hnoat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 03:08:57 PDT

    cachemgr.cgi is the manager interface to Squid web proxy/cache server.

    As all manager interface tools access to it SHOULD have restricted
    access by default, not open for public access.

    If you are not using the box as a Squid www proxy/cache server then
    uninstall the package by executing "/etc/rc.d/init.d/squid stop ; rpm -e
    squid".

    If you are indeed using the Squid proxy server software, then make the
    following actions to at least minimally secure access the manager
    interface:

    mkdir /home/httpd/protected-cgi-bin
    mv /home/httpd/cgi-bin/cachemgr.cgi /home/httpd/protected-cgi-bin/

    and add the following directives to /etc/httpd/conf/access.conf and
    srm.conf

    --- start access.conf segment ---

    # Protected cgi-bin directory for programs that
    # should not have public access

    <Directory /home/httpd/protected-cgi-bin>
    order deny,allow
    deny from all
    allow from localhost
    #allow from .your_domain.com
    AllowOverride None
    Options ExecCGI
    </Directory>

    --- end access.conf segment ---

    --- start srm.conf segment ---
    ScriptAlias /protected-cgi-bin/ /home/httpd/protected-cgi-bin/
    --- end srm.conf segment ---

    Then execute "/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart" to reconfigure your Apache
    HTTP server to allow localhost access to
    http://localhost/protected-cgi-bin/cachemgr.cgi. Change the allow rules
    accordingly if you have other stations that need access to the
    protected-cgi-bin directory.

    You are also recommended to move any other cgi-bin programs not inteded
    for public access from /home/httpd/cgi-bin to
    /home/httpd/protected-cgi-bin, if you have any.

    Disclaimer: Squid does not install cachemgr.cgi in a HTTP accessible
    directory by default. It is the administrators responsibility (or in
    this case the RedHat package maintainer) to set up proper HTTP access to
    it.

    --
    Henrik Nordstrom
    Squid developer & RedHat user