Re: Redhat 6.0 cachemgr.cgi lameness

From: Kerb (kerbat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 23:28:30 PDT

    I am running a RedHat 5.2 box, rebuilt basically everything (and working on
    what I havent), and I _didn't_ install Apache off the CD during installation,
    and opted to download 1.3.6 from www.apache.org in source code.   I compiled
    the source, and I was in the process of getting it all set up in a directory
    structure familiar to me, and I noticed a "cachemgr.cgi" in my
    /home/httpd/cgi-bin
    directory.   I didnt know what it was, so as soon as I saw it, I automatically
    did a "chmod 000 cachemgr.cgi".  I enabled it once after that to test it to see
    what it was, but I didnt really have the time nor the patience to really do
    much, but I know that there is no way to really restrict access to it from what
    I have seen, and it is also a binary, so I do not trust it.  As a CGI
    programmer, I know the inherent risks of CGI programs w/ power like that.  So,
     basically, what this Email is about is that I dont think that its just an RH
    6.0 specific issue, I think it involves all builds of Apache 1.3.6 (and
    others?).  Also, it could have POSSIBLY been Squid, which I installed as a
    proxy cache.  Just some thoughts....

    -Kerb

    On Friday, July 23, 1999 6:37 PM, danielat_private