Re: Troff dangerous.

From: Olaf Kirch (okirat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 03:36:22 PDT

    On Sun, Jul 25, 1999 at 01:13:11AM -0218, Julian Squires wrote:
    > Redhat 5.2 is vulnerable. Both Debian slink and potato are not. Both
    > use groff 1.11a, but Debian's is patched. It appears that stock groff
    > 1.11a is vulnerable, probably any older groff, as well.

    I forgot this in my previous message to bugtraq, but there's of course
    a way to disable these macros, which is by adding -msafer to the groff
    command line (e.g. in /etc/man.conf or wherever your man config lives).

    The tmac.safer package simply removes the offending commands and replaces
    them with something that prints a warning. For those who can read troff:

    .rm open opena pso sy pi
    .de unsafe
    .tm \\n(.F:\\n(.c: unsafe to execute request `\\$1'
    ..
    .als open unsafe
    .als opena unsafe
    .als pso unsafe
    .als sy unsafe
    .als pi unsafe

    Olaf
    --
    Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
    okirat_private  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax