Re: [linux-security] [RHSA-1999:023-01] Potential security

From: Edward S. Marshall (emarshalat_private)
Date: Sun Jul 25 1999 - 21:05:07 PDT

    On Sun, 25 Jul 1999 aleph1at_private wrote:
    [...]
    > 2. Bug IDs fixed:
    [...]

    None listed.

    [...]
    > 7. Problem description:
    >
    > At the request of the gnumeric maintainer a new version is being released by
    > Red Hat which addresses potential security issues with the version of
    > gnumeric shipped in Red Hat Linux 6.0.
    [..]

    No useful data.

    > 10. References:
    [...]

    None listed.

    Am I the only one who noticed and was concerned that this alert contained
    absolutely no useful information about the nature of the security problem
    found?

    I don't blindly update software just because the vendor told me to, on the
    assumption that "it must be good for me". I don't suspect a lot of people
    on this list do either...

    --
    Edward S. Marshall <emarshalat_private>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
    http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]