word 97 macrovirus protection problem

From: thomas lakofski (thomasat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 15:37:53 PDT

    hi,

    i recently noticed, while dealing with a macro virus going around my
    office (too new for latest av software), that word 97's 'macro virus
    protection' feature doesn't work when printing documents directly from
    explorer.

    normal scenario:

    1) open document
    2) word pops up macro warning dialog
    3) click 'disable'
    4) open visual basic editor and delete the module containing the virus

    but, if like i was, you're printing a few documents and one happens to
    have a virus:

    1) select multiple documents
    2) right click, select 'print' context menuitem
    3) word opens each document sequentially and prints them, including the
    document with a virus in it.  word doesn't ask about the macros in this
    document, just goes ahead and enables them anyway.
    4) i now have a macro virus in my normal.dot, with no indication of ever
    having run a macro-containing file.

    [skip rant on stupid macro security model]

    regards,

    -thomas

    [obligatory-useless-waste-of-bits-bit-goes-here] ultra-umbra-magic-crypto
    EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 supercomputer-AES-xspook