Re: Troff dangerous.

From: Robert Watson (robertat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 01:59:30 PDT

    On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Pete wrote:

    > But as for your statement I would prefer a setuid/gid man (to a dedicated
    > uid and gid) thus *when* your troff is compromised. It will not have the
    > authority to compromise your system.

    I agreed entirely with your rant until this point.

    Making your man programs setuid man does not improve security, only
    performance due to the caching effect.

    Let me give an example: because man is setuid to the man uid, the binary
    must be owned by uid man.  As a result, unless the file system is
    read-only or the immutable bit is used on supporting operating systems, it
    is writable by the man uid.  When you have a trojan man page, the trojaned
    code runs as uid man, and as such may now modify the man program, etc.  If
    root runs man, it will run the modified man program, and if the man uid is
    careful to remove the setuid bit from the executable (something it may do
    as it owns the file) then this new code now runs as root the next time a
    trojaned man page is executed.

    All setuid man does is allow a shared cache on man pages, it does not
    isolate security problems assocated with the man system--any user who runs
    the man command gives up control of their credentials to any user who can
    modify the man binary, or trojan a man page.

      Robert N M Watson

    robertat_private              http://www.watson.org/~robert/
    TIS Labs at Network Associates, Computing Laboratory at Cambridge University
    Safeport Network Services