Some comments on

From: Mnemonix (mnemonixat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 30 1999 - 14:20:00 PDT

    Microsoft have stated in their FAQ a number of things that I'd disagree with
    or feel could do with more clarification

    Forgive the copyright infringments

    >For example, compromising a workstation would only allow the attacker to
    elevate his or her privileges on the workstation, and would not allow >them
    to gain privileges on the network at large.

    By definition "arbitary code" is arbitary - in other words the attacker can
    run what _they_ want. The exploit code posted earlier today will invisibly
    run a batch file. If that batch file contains a command "addme.exe \\PDC"
    and addme.exe happened to call the NetGroupAddUser() Win32 function and the
    trap was sprung by a domain admin then yes, they can "gain privileges on the
    network at large".

    >The attacker would need several things in order to exploit this
    vulnerability:
    >Access to a machine that's also used by an administrator or another user
    with more privileges than the attacker has

    This point will be negated shortly - see *

    >The ability to modify the other user's Dialer initialization file

    On Windows NT Server and Workstation the same dialer.ini file is used by
    everyone. Only Terminal Server gives everyone their own ini file.

    >Some means of getting the other user to run Dialer
    * "Good Morning, is that technical support? Ah good - I'm having problems
    with...."
    Why go to a machine where an admin logs on - get them to come to you.

    End rant ;-)
    Cheers,
    David Litchfield
    Arca Systems Inc, an Exodus Communications company
    http://www.arca.com
    http://www.infowar.co.uk/mnemonix